The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WSBK: Qualifying - Germany

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rory Phoulorie
Zorce Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: WSBK: Qualifying - Germany Reply with quote

Saturday, 8th September 2007

The PSG-1 Kawasaki team had a surprising turn of events at the Eurospeedway in Germany with both riders taking up the top two positions on the grid for Sunday's race.

Fonsi Nieto and his team-mate Regis Laconi used the wet weather to their advantage during a wet Superpole session ahead of round eleven of the Corona Extra Superbike World Championship to claim pole position and second place.

Wet Superpole allows the riders a total of twelve laps and both Kawasaki riders went out early and did three fast laps which was sufficient to secure pole. Joining the green machines on the front row of the grid is Troy Bayliss on the Xerox Ducatiand Troy Corser on the Yamaha Italia bike.

Nieto commented after his Superpole success, �For sure it is very difficult out there. I try to get out early and start first lap but after the first four corners it was difficult to see. It is a good result on a difficult track and it has been difficult year for us. I am happy for me and the team, it is not my favourite track but it is the same for everybody. I hope for a good result.�

His team-mate Laconi was also pleased with the result saying, �This is my second front row this year. I was lucky to get out early so there was some spray and the track was slippy. I see two riders crash but I try to finish my lap. We have had some bad luck but now it is good. The track in the wet is difficult. Some parts are really good and some parts are not good. There is a lot of rubber on the track from the cars and it is hard to brake on. I don't crash; I crash this morning that is enough!�

Bayliss agreed with the other riders that track conditions are treacherous and it was up to each individual how hard they were prepared to push. �Everyone out there had to stick their chin out to put in a good lap time,� he said, �I had wanted to get out early but I forgot to put my ear plugs in and missed the early laps. Yesterday we didn't get much time in the dry but the bike is working well. In the rain it is pretty good; it all comes down to confidence.�

The most out spoken of the bunch was Corser who is not happy with the track conditions, �The track doesn't have consistent grip. Corner entry can be good but then mid corner it is slippery. There is a lot of rubber down and when you hit it, it is like hitting oil. I crashed this morning while up right. There are also a few places where the track crosses what used to be a white line and they have painted over it with black paint. The black paint is slippery and if you touch it then you go down. Trying to find the grip is difficult and it makes set-up difficult with the traction control. It is ok in practice and qualifying where you can chose your line but in the race you would lose half the field. I've spoken to the track owner and to Flammini and told them what I think. I'm going to go back and see them this afternoon.�

Lining up behind the pole sitter in fifth place is Max Biaggi on the Alstare Corona Extra Suzuki. Ruben Xaus who has been on fast form this weekend was in sixth place but did manage to crash with four minutes of the session left to run.

James Toseland had to settle for a disappointing seventh place on his Hannspree Ten Kate Honda. Lining up next to him on the second row of the grid is Noriyuki Haga who despite a late charge was unable to improve on eighth place.

The last two places in the top ten went to Max Neukirchner and Roberto Rolfo. During the session there were four fallers in total. Karl Muggeridge crashed mid session as did Rolfo. Michel Fabrizio also took a tumble making it his third crash of the day.

WSBK superpole results � EuroSpeedway:

1. Fonsi Nieto
2. Regis Laconi
3. Troy Bayliss
4. Troy Corser
5. Max Biaggi
6. Ruben Xaus
7. James Toseland
8. Noriyuki Haga
9. Max Neukirchner
10. Roberto Rolfo

crash.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Moto-Z All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: