The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Home Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Secret Project Room (tsk)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spike
Racing Wind!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work has piled up back in the garage in PoS.
Looks like no work will be done on the estate before January... Rats!
Evil or Very Mad
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop frolicking with those daft old car lads you have hanging around

I know it's so, for I told me so
spike
Racing Wind!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now, now... jealousy doesn't become you.
What did Santa bring you?

wagonrunner
Zorce Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike, when yuh gonna tap yuh twin concrete springs?

I recommend you gnore the sexy photogenic beast in the pic

Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
spike
Racing Wind!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is that dog in the picture? Mr. Green
spike
Racing Wind!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagonrunner, you, Zodiaque and Nomoss gave me a real help-out on Sunday! Thanks to you lot, I can now drive right up to the house - an act that could only be performed in the height of the dry season. Get Down and Boogie Head Bang Dancing Elephant Dancing Elephant Dancing Elephant
wagonrunner
Zorce Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to help man

Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
spike
Racing Wind!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Zod took these shots of my pop's two land-rovers... the first one having suffered at the hands of a Petit Valley smart-man mechanic - He had to buy the second one while he waited (years) for the first one to be repaired! Finally, I built a tow-bar and he towed it home with the second one. It really hurt him, as the first one's body was in quite good condition, and all the gentleman had to do was work on the chassis and electrical system.
Both are now up for sale...

MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spike wrote:
The Great Zod took these shots of my pop's two land-rovers... the first one having suffered at the hands of a Petit Valley smart-man mechanic - He had to buy the second one while he waited (years) for the first one to be repaired! Finally, I built a tow-bar and he towed it home with the second one. It really hurt him, as the first one's body was in quite good condition, and all the gentleman had to do was work on the chassis and electrical system.
Both are now up for sale...

spike
Racing Wind!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
You're back!
I thought you were... Beam Up
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I hearin talkof an epic BBQ lime
u need a nice 4' by 4' BBQ pit?

spike
Racing Wind!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4' by 4'? Shocked What is it that you barbeque? De whole hog? (Mother-in-law?) Laughing
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol my bad....2 x 2 Embarassed

spike
Racing Wind!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG Man wrote:
lol my bad....2 x 2 Embarassed

Rats! (did done get de hog ahready Evil or Very Mad ...)

Going up on Saturday morning early o'clock with my son to spend the long weekend clearing around the house and the orchard.
I will be resurrecting an old hand-tractor to do the job... it's a Wolseley Merry Tiller Titan, 5 hp Briggs & Stratton. It came with a glorious array of attachments, from a dozer blade to a tip-trailer, and of course, a myriad of cultivators. The old man bought it and a few of its accoutrements when we shipped up to Toco (then it was "cutting-edge" farm-tech Laughing ) and it performed yeoman's service for decades... until it got parked up one day... and there it sat for years...

All I had to do was change the points/condenser unit, replace the gasket between the carb and the fuel tank, and use epoxy to repair the upper edge of the fuel tank that weathered and rusted... and she ran. I used her to do some ploughing on this side, but she is heading back up to the estate for good now.
The Titan comes with a brush-cutter unit that looks like a barber's clippers on steroids. You just point this beastie at the greenery and let it go... (Nylon threaded rotary lawn-trimmers are for sissies Laughing )

The only problem is it is belt-driven. Friction belts transfer the drive from the engine to the wheels and other accessories. A simple clutch arrangement via a jockey pulley does the trick... however, I can't get friction belts, so auto fan-belts have to suffice. They can't take too much wear, and burst when heat and tension become unbearable. Then there is the problem of size. A fan-belt the right length when cold/new, stretches with heat and use... so after a while, the jockey pulley cannot bring enough tension to bear on the now-constantly slipping belt.

I solved this problem by using far too small belts and bypassing the jockey pulley entirely, and that meant the tiller would start running as soon as it started... This had some remarkable side-effects... the best one being a sort of "automatic pilot" mode. I realized this by accident one day, as while working, I recalled too late that the orange tree I was about to trim around had a serious 'cohong' wasp infestation problem... I was out of step with the tiller, and couldn't steer it away quickly enough. I tripped and fell, and could only watch in horror as the tiller sliced its way towards the tree, passing directly below one of the larger wasp nests. As the tiller chugged and chopped merrily under and then past the tree, the usefulness of this quirk dawned on me - I didn't need to walk behind it to steer it! I ran around the tree, caught the Titan, turned it around and aimed it at the bush on the other side of the tree... then let it go. It went on its way, doing its job most efficiently, and thus introduced me to a new (and more relaxing) method of clearing suitably flat land - I stress "suitably flat land" as a couple days after this happy occurrence, there was a not-so happy incident involving the tiller, a tight belt, an almost full-throttle run and a ravine... let it suffice to say that I found out exactly how heavy the Titan was with the brush-cutter unit attached, the importance of running along a slope on low throttle, and precisely how steep that seemingly shallow ravine was...

Sorry about the lack of pictorial representation, buh me eh buy ah camera yet... Embarassed
Hopefully this will suffice for now...
The tiller I have is the type in the foreground to the left, the Titan-cultivator:

This is an example of its versatility:

We never got the trailer for it, but I used to see examples of tip-trailers that a hand-tiller could pull. This one is a bit fancy:

The problem with a tiller-drawn trailer is that all the traction is in front, and the estate is hilly terrain... so a home-built trailer would have to be light and not large (I figure 4' X 4' might be excessive). Something like this perhaps:

wagonrunner
Zorce Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
from the time you mention "automatic pilot", i knew there was an "adventure's with Bill" moment following. Roll on Floor laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Secret Project Room (tsk) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: