The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorola Capri

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NarendZORCE
Zorce Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Motorola Capri Reply with quote

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Motorola Capri

should be the size of the RAZR when closed, but no flip and you can talk with the slide down - smaller than the SLVR. Rumoured to have a 3mp camera with flash and memory card.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take mine in red puh-lease................

I know it's so, for I told me so
snow
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this post means what?
....em....you wanted to show us some pics of a phone?
NarendZORCE
Zorce Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum "Gadgets and Classifieds" is for the showcasing of:

1) Items for Sale
2) Items you want to buy
3) New technology, gadgets and other "lifestyle" items that our forum membership may be interested in.

The idea in this forums is to showcase pretty much anything that can be bought or sold. With this post of the phone, typical replies expected would be if you liked or disliked it and why. In many cases, people who like cars often like other cool items that go with the lifestyle. There are those who surround themselves with scale model replicas of various vehicles while others strive to own the same watch, phone and shoes of a popular race team or driver. Memorabilia, Books, Toys, Ornaments, Tokens, Laptops, Phones, Accessories, T-Shirts and Ferrari Mugs all belong here.

In the reply above MG Man has posted a picture of a red Ford Capri. Given that the phone is called Motorola Capri, I'd say his reply was (to the seasoned car-buff) funny and informative at the same time Very Happy

Last edited by NarendZORCE on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NarendZORCE
Zorce Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of this Forum as your Year-round Wishlist
NarendZORCE
Zorce Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway back to the Motorola Capri...

Taken from: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/moto_capri/

The overall feel of the phone is excellent. It's a nice size and weight, and the construction quality is quite good.

Like on the RAZR, the housing is mostly metal. Our unit had a "soft touch" rubberized finish. This finish not only looks and feels great, but also resists fingerprint smudges and makes the phone much easier to grip.

The slide mechanism is spring-assisted, so it "snaps" open and closed. Our prototype unit had a very powerful spring action.

One design element borrowed from the RAZR is the antenna bulge at the bottom. This makes the phone difficult to open compared to most other slide-style phones. Since you can't just push on the bottom edge to slide it open, you have to use the raised ridge directly below the display. Unfortunately doing this usually leaves a nice big thumb-print on the bottom of the display, and takes quite a bit of effort due to the powerful spring that holds it shut. To avoid smudging the display, I found myself pushing against the side of the phone to slide it open. The rubberized finish makes this feasible, although it still required quite a bit of effort.

It should be noted that our unit was pre-production hardware, so the slide action could be improved by the time it reaches store shelves.

Regardless, the good news is that this phone certainly won't open by accident in your pocket, something that can be an issue with other sliders.

Like the RAZR, the keypad looks pretty, but also looks terribly unergonomic. Looks are deceiving though, because - just like the RAZR - the keypad is actually a joy to use. Compared to the RAZR keypad, the closer key spacing and fewer rubber dividers don't seem to hinder ergonomics or usability one bit.

Yet another technology carried over from the RAZR is EL (electro-luminescent) backlighting behind the keys. Unlike standard LED backlights that are notoriously uneven, EL technology provides perfectly even light. While the RAZR keys have a blue glow, this phone switches to a cool white color, which looks even better.

The metal battery cover is released via a small button on the top. Just like on the RAZR, you can easily release the battery cover and pull it away in one motion using a fingernail.

The microSD memory card slot is located under the battery cover. It is hot-swappable, so you can swap cards without turning off the phone.

Like all phones currently on the market, this phone has a flaw that prevents it from fully supporting 2 GB memory cards (like the SanDisk card shown above). Like most current phones, you can use a 2 GB card if you format it in the phone, but then the card only works as a 1 GB card.

If this phone properly adhered to the SD card specification, it would work fine with 2 GB cards, but they made an error in implementing the firmware that limits the memory card to 1 GB. It's hard to blame to Motorola for this, since every other manufacturer has made the exact same mistake. This issue affects all current phones with either a microSD or miniSD memory card slot.

While Nokia is committed to fixing the issue and supporting 2 GB cards in all new phones shipping in Q3, other manufacturers are taking longer to address the problem. Motorola plans to start supporting 2 GB cards in some phones by the end of Q3, but it's not clear if this model will receive that fix before it ships.

The good news is that this phone does have FOTA (firmware over-the-air), so even if it doesn't support 2 GB cards at launch, that could (theoretically) be fixed in a update delivered automatically over the network.

Whenever Motorola and other manufacturers finally start shipping phones that support them, SanDisk is ready to start shipping 2 GB cards immediately. They're ready to go (as you can see) - just waiting for phone support.

The SIM card fits in a slot under the microSD card.

This phone also has a standard mini-USB port. This port supports just about everything you might want to do with USB, including charging, data to a laptop, direct printing (PictBridge), and mass storage mode for direct access to the memory card from a PC.

Above the display are two LED indicator lights. A green one on the left lights up with a battery icon when charging. The right one is blue, with a Bluetooth logo, and shows Bluetooth activity. Both are invisible when not lit.

Measuring 17mm thick, it's 3mm thicker than the RAZR, but that's to be expected given the extra room needed for the slide mechanism that runs most of its length. It's also 14 grams heavier than the RAZR, but I still wouldn't call it heavy, and the extra weight keeps it from feeling cheap. There was a slight amount of wiggle in the slide mechanism when open, but I didn't notice it until I checked for it; in everyday use the mechanism feels very well-constructed.

The phone is quad-band GSM. It seems to have EDGE as well. That's our assumption, at least, based on the little "E" icon that frequently appeared at the top of the screen.

It would have been nice to see a larger, QVGA display on this baby, but the 176 x 220 pixel display it does have is quite good. It is very bright, with great color, and looks great indoors and out, even in direct sunlight. Motorola has also tweaked the fonts to look a bit nicer and use a bit of anti-aliasing for a smoother look. Our only gripe about the display is that it seems to be 65,000 colors instead of 262,000. That's not a big deal in most cases, but there was the occasional photo where you could see some banding.

Motorola recently signed a deal with David Beckham for the soccer star to be a "brand ambassador" for the company.
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately my inate clumsiness dictates that I keep my Nokia Laughing

I know it's so, for I told me so
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: