The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This Toyota engine continues to amaze .... (updated Aug 06)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Fixables
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: This Toyota engine continues to amaze .... (updated Aug 06) Reply with quote

When I first turbocharged Casper, I thought about 5-6 psi. For those who do not know who/what Casper is ..... it's a 2000 Corolla Wagon DX (EE103).

Like any self respecting tuner/driver, the need to raise the boost calls you and we have now reached 8psi with NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.

Actually, due to my ghetto-rigging ways, the boost spikes to 10psi at times and settles to 8psi. Again ... no problems.

The factory 5EFE shows it's robust ways and the build continues....

We found that the stock IM is designed to give gains in the low to mid RPM range due to its small diameter and long runners, and the small Plenum size did not suit the turbo application. SOOOOOO ........... A Starlet intake manifold found its way onto the head, and showed lots of promise in the way of TQ and HP.

Next up is a ported head, done by yours truly. This is my 1st P&P, so no guarantees on performance numbers, actually, no guarantees on ANY gains. The head should be on this week, so will keep all interested people updated on all further mods.

June 2006

The ported head has shown better breathing, and has only really now benefitted from the turbo and manifold upgrade as the car is now flowing alot better.

We upgraded from the stock CT9 turbo and manifold to a now T28 from a Nissan RB20DET and we built/fabricated a better flowing manifold to feed the turbo. Research has shown that the stock 4EFTE manifold has major flow restrictions and actually, the port size shrinks to the size of your pinky finger at one point. The CT9 has proven that it's not built to support the 1.5L 5EFE. With the turbo and manifold upgrade, the boost is MUCH stronger and the 1/4 mile times has dropped from a 16.6 @81mph to a 15.9 @ 87mph (with traction problems in the first 2 gears.)

Next in line is an upgraded intercooler. We'll see what that does on the track at the end of July. Keep posted.

Update: 2nd August - Due to an oil leak, I starved the engine for oil during a "testing" period against a Cefiro Turbo with 3" exhaust and FMIC. The engine is rebuildable, and should be up and running in a few weeks. Delays, delays!!

Current mods and install date:

5EFE 1.5L DOHC engine and 4spd gearbox

November 2005
Starlet exhaust manifold
Starlet turbo
FMU
ERL MF2 AIC - single extra injector
Ford ranger intercooler (FMIC) - free

March 2006
Starlet intake manifold

June 2006
Upgrade turbo to T28
Fabricated new exhaust manifold

July 2006
????????????????

to be continued ......................

Kirk

Last edited by Mr. Fixables on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
hook
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...buh I coulda tell yuh dat all de time Laughing good going meng Cool

but dem crazy fcukers in Australia and a few in the US, boosting 5E-FE's and 5E-FHE's without issues long time...

the stock 5E-FE manufactured from 1998 to date produces 94hp @ 5400rpm and 100bl/ft @ 3400rpm while the stock 5E-FHE manufactured from the same date produces 110hp @ 6400rpm and 100lb/ft @ 4000rpm with the same compression ratio, bore and stroke between the two

it's a higher revving engine, the cam profile is a bit more aggressive and the internals are stronger for the FHE (supposedly the same forged crowns from the 4E-FTE as the bore is the same, but I've yet to confirm it), so if u can get ur hands on one from a JDM Corolla/Tercel 5E-FHE and slap on ur starlet doohickey onto it, then u in business Twisted Evil

...it's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!
snow
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much dat cost u so far? i have a 5efe also i wanna oost em badly
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kudos to Kirk for (1) an amazingh project, (2) sharing his mods with us...no top secret rubbish here Cool
See u in ESP in 07 Sir Wink

I know it's so, for I told me so
Master Rolla
Rebel Zorce Ossifah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice info here thanks for sharing
Mr. Fixables
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of my set-up is a bit mis-leading as I had a few parts laying around (as I always seem to have).

But generally, it should cost you about $4000, give or take.

Here is the parts list and average costs:

Turbocharging your car is quite simple. Here is the list of thing you need to turbocharge you car. This list is the bare minimum parts list to do it, so if you want to upgrade any part, the cost will go up accordingly.

Turbo Exhaust Manifold - $600 (I can give you the run down on how to do this when you are ready)
Turbo � your choice, depending on what you want out of the car. Used turbo about $600-800
Charge piping � about $700
Small Intercooler - $200-400
FMU (Rising rate fuel pressure regulator) � used $600

The rest of your cost will be labour and any welding, hoses, clamps etc you will need to finish the install.

Kirk
Master Rolla
Rebel Zorce Ossifah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the bamboo recently and was told that parts for the 5e were difficult to come by, can you confirm, I will be looking for engine mounts soon
snow
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were u get your oil feed from ??
snow
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guessing "FMU" means fuel management system?
....um....if so were u get this for $600?
snow
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERL MF2 AIC
i need info on this also
Mr. Fixables
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5E parts seem to come into the country in waves. There are so many cars in Trinidad with E engines that it would only be a short time till the supply is abundant through the Bamboo.

FMU - you can look around and find a few at that price.

ERL MF2 - I only used that to ensure that there is enough fuel at my PSI. It was just a precaution really, as I am not using any kind of timing management. The unit is an extra injector controller which can be adjusted to engage at a determined PSI and there is also a fuel controller within it to regulate the fuel delivery per RPM. This unit is used in the F-Max turbo kits.

Here are a few links on the unit.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/mf2/mf2.html
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/mf2/techmf2/mf2tec.html

If you are going to stay around 5-7psi, then using only the FMU will be fine. I also will recommend using a T25 turbo, as the T28 I am using has a bit of lag, but I was prepared to live with that for the extra top end power. For a daily driver who is not going to race regularly, a T25 will be fine.

I got my oil feed from a fitting in the block, I just got a T fitting and connected it to supply the turbo.

As far as the engine mounts, here is a good idea. I told this to "God Bless the Black Top" a while ago, and he posted it up somewhere.

Once your mounts are not already ripped, go to Laughlin & De Gannes (or anywhere else that sells it) and get the 3M Window Weld (it's the rubber/silicone that seals windshields). Either take out the mounts, or jack up the engine to releive the weight on the mounts, then fill the spaces within the mount and let it dry for 24 hours. It will look and feel like rubber at that point, re-install/drop the engine and that's it. You now have semi-solid mounts and will never have to replace the mounts again.

If the mounts are already ripped, fill the new ones, let it cure and then install it.

Kirk
horsepwrjunki
Budding Solodexer?

Location: at d first last street,up de hill down the second left, up the right, upstairs *knock first plz*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legal imports has a vortec fmu in there case. .dunno the price.. and i have a lil turbo that woudl give u a decen 8 psi Mr. Green
________
IPOD GAMES

Last edited by horsepwrjunki on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Master Rolla
Rebel Zorce Ossifah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye Kirk thanks for the advice about the braking system, I've laid my hands on a pair of Levin rotors and calipers so in addition to your suggestions I'm also doing a front swap
Mr. Fixables
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how that turns out.

Kirk
snow
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what could i do about my brakes?????????????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Zorcerazzi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: