The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Budget / No Budget Lighting Studio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeo
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Low Budget / No Budget Lighting Studio Reply with quote

Found this on the net.

Quote:
So, I've been hooked on lighting lately, and I figured it was time to create some sort of miniature lighing studio for myself. I also wanted backdrops of different colours that could be changed easily. However, my budget for the project was approximately $0, so I needed to come up with something extremely cheap and simple. And it had to be made out of stuff I already had, if possible. To make matters worse, I had almost no space to work with! This is what I have created:

It's very, very simple. The changeable backdrops are the backsides of colourful T-shirts that I had sitting around. (One white, one green, one orange, and one black.) These can be found at Value Villiage for a pittance, and can be found in a rainbow of colours. They are held to the wall with duct tape (the photographer's secret weapon) and I "switch" between colours by holding the upper layers to the wall with (you guessed it) more duct tape! The only shortfall to this system is that the shirts can wrinkle, which is easily sovled with a common household clothing iron. In fact, moulding the shirts can have some interesting shadow effects that I intend to make use of.

Lighting comes from two common desk lamps, one with a light diffuser attached (read: piece of paper held on with electrical tape because I left the duct tape in the other room). Both lights are easily positioned and angled. Adding more light sources is as easy as a trip to Ikea.

The other essential bit is the tripod. I already had one, but anyone can buy a cheap but quite serviceable one for $20-$30. Heck, anyone half interested in photography should have one anyway.

The results of the setup are not too shabby, if I do say so myself. I would have a better guage of quality if I had a DSLR and could compare to other studio lights, but I don't, so I can't. Here's 5 images I took today, they're pretty simple:

Future plans involve more lights and a reflector made of (what else?) duct tape!

Princess-Kaveshla
Zorce Jedi Photo Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting...Smile Hey if it works it works.. Now the question is - how can we do that for taking pics of cars ......
NEILSPEEED
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been working with lighting. I've been using T-shirts and cardboard ( bris-tal-bord) .
I take photos of my model cars, they look so real, i'll definately have to upload some.
I mostly take the pics so I can show the before and after pics.
Cause I also customize my models.
Isn't it amazing what a digital camera, some cardboard, t-shirts and lights can do, not to mention some imagination.!
Princess-Kaveshla
Zorce Jedi Photo Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where are those pictures???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> ZORCEology All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: