The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vehicle veers off course, kills fan in Dakar Rally

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeo
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Vehicle veers off course, kills fan in Dakar Rally Reply with quote

An injured person is helped next to Mirco Schultis' car during the opening stage of the Dakar Rally on Saturday.

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Nani Roma won the first stage of the Dakar Rally in a BMW and David Casteu of France led home the bikes on a Saturday marred by the first death of a fan in four years.

Roma finished the shortened stage from Colon to Cordoba 2 minutes, 7 seconds ahead of Spanish countryman Carlos Sainz in a Volkswagen, and 2:50 in front of BMW teammate Stephane Peterhansel. Giniel De Villiers of South Africa, the 2009 champion, was 4:31 off the lead in a Volkswagen.

“It’s only just the start,” Roma said. “We haven’t really had a battle with the VWs yet. There is still a lot of the race to go. In any case, it was a good special stage for warming up.”

The fatality occurred when a woman watching the rally was struck by a 4x4 driven by Mirco Schultis and partner Ulrich Leardi, who veered off course in north central Argentina.

Norberto Brusa, a spokesman for Rio Cuarto Hospital, said 28-year-old Natalia Sonia Gallardo died from injuries suffered in the crash. Brusa said four other people were injured, but the extent of the injuries was not immediately available.

A witness to the accident told the television station TN that fans were standing outside a secure area reserved for spectators.

“There was no place and the police did not stop people,” said the witness, identified as Gaston Harriague. “The fields around there are all private. They are not permitted places.”

French motorcyclist Pascal Terry died last year in the rally, which is widely regarded as one of motorsport’s most dangerous events.

The stage was trimmed by 30 miles to 124 miles because of flooding at the start, and Peterhansel, a nine-time winner of the Dakar, led early. But Roma, who won the race on a motorbike in 2004, took over the lead after about 30 miles, and kept extending it, while Sainz passed Peterhansel after the midpoint.

Casteu won the 104-mile bike stage in 1 hour, 50 minutes, 42 seconds, only three seconds ahead of fellow French rider Cyril Despres and 12 seconds in front of Spanish rider Marc Coma. Despres and Coma, who have shared victories in the past four Dakars, swapped leads until Casteu came through at the end.

Casteu, a former teammate of Despres but riding for French constructor Sherco, said he was urged by his mechanic before the stage “to make an impact.”

“So I attacked, attacked and attacked,” Casteu said. “I had a great time.”

Despres said he was content just to get through the first day of racing.

“I had butterflies in my stomach this morning because on the last two Dakars, each time my first day was terrible,” he said. “So I’m really happy to have finished. The time I managed wasn’t too bad and, more importantly, I didn’t have any problems.”

Sunday’s second stage takes the racers to La Rioja as the rally moves northwest toward the Chilean border.

The rally, which finishes on Jan. 16 in Buenos Aires, was moved to South America in 2009 because of safety concerns and the possibility of a terrorist attack in Africa.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34667998/ns/sports-motor_sports/
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the driver.... Neutral

I know it's so, for I told me so
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad what a way to start off Dakar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakar kills someone pretty much every year

I know it's so, for I told me so
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough job for a photographer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Zorcerazzi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: