The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EVO IV Crankshaft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragmaster
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: EVO IV Crankshaft Reply with quote

I under some serious pressure here.

I need an EVO 4 crankshaft like yesterday (well last 3 weeks actually).

No, my crank didn't walk, the journals are badly damaged and wouldn't make sense to machine, ergo I need a crankshaft.

However, for the knowledgeable amongst us, I need some clarification on the applications of Evo crankshafts. I've been told that any crank from 1-9 would work fine, then I was told that 4,5 and 6 alone would work, then I was told only 4 would work cuz of the placement of the thrust bearing i.e. the 4's block has a groove cut into it to accommodate said bearing.

So enlighten me, P-L-E-A-S-E-!-!-!-!

But more than that, find me a crankshaft, P-L-E-A-S-E-!-!-!-!

Yes, desperation has set in.

Thanks in advance.
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dragmaster and welcome to the Mitsubishi MadMen Forum.

Sorry but I don't know where you can get an E4 crank.
Dragmaster wrote:
...I was told only (Evo) 4 (crankshaft) would work cuz of the placement of the thrust bearing i.e. the 4's block has a groove cut into it to accommodate said bearing...

AFAIK I read something similar years ago. Don't have time to check right now.
I'll pull up the Evo 4-5 Workshop Manual and the Tech. Info. Handbook later.

Meanwhile try to download the Evo 4-5 Manual from the links on this page...
http://zevo.se/blog/?page_id=532
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragmaster wrote:
..No, my crank didn't walk, the journals are badly damaged and wouldn't make sense to machine, ergo I need a crankshaft...

If your crank journals are badly damaged, was the block's main bearing surfaces damaged at all?

If they were, you may have to align bore the block, using the replacement crank's journal dimensions. I'm VERY sceptical about doing align boring locally for my E6 rebuild.

Also buying a USED E4 crank is a risk. You don't know for sure if it's undamaged until it's installed.

Don't know your budget but a used 4G63 shortblock from a US E8 (eBay) may be more reliable.

My $0.02¢
Dragmaster
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Sanctifier. I was, after browsing through many threads, looking for your input, first and foremost, and expecting the 'Mitsubishi Madmen' of Zorce to be a lot more insightful and better expressive than those of other locals.

Sanctifier wrote:
If your crank journals are badly damaged, was the block's main bearing surfaces damaged at all?
Not that I know of, to tell you the truth, I've trusted the word of my mechanic thus far.

Sanctifier wrote:
If they were, you may have to align bore the block, using the replacement crank's journal dimensions. I'm VERY sceptical about doing align boring locally for my E6 rebuild.
Well, my mechanic, who's been racing for years, has grown to trust two local machine shops, I can get that info for you, then you should be able to get some testimonies to their work.

Sanctifier wrote:
Also buying a USED E4 crank is a risk. You don't know for sure if it's undamaged until it's installed.
True, true.

Sanctifier wrote:
Don't know your budget but a used 4G63 shortblock from a US E8 (eBay) may be more reliable.

My $0.02¢
Well I was looking at evolutionm.net. I've heard their users tend to be more forgiving with their prices, as someone across there is always upgrading and modifying.

I was considering Eagle's forged stroker crankshaft, hence my concern as to whether Evo's cranks are universal in application.

Thanks for your $0.02, it's always welcomed.

Everybody else's $0.02 is also welcomed.
luvnish
Rebel Speeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a USDM Evo8 crankshaft for a friend of mine who has an Evo5 in Grenada. It's the same crank.

I am not 100% sure but I believe that the Evo4 crank is also the same, the difference lies in the block itself where the placement of the thrust washer, etc. is concerned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: