The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To "Evolutionize" your Lancer!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotrod_81
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm also a owner of a CM5A GSR lancer. Still has the original 4G93T with a tiptronic transmission W4A51 3312.

I have been reading the posts by sanctifier and luvnish about swapping the tiptronic tranny for evolution 4,5 and 6 gearbox. But I didn't get a clear idea if you all did or didn't try it?

But would the evo 4,5 or 6 work? Because the gearbox codes for the these models are W5M51-1 and W5M51-2.

Or is it the bellhousing completely different between the CM5A and Evo CN9A models thats why it can't work? I have never gotten the opportunity to put them side by side and see the difference.

Your comments and any information will be greatly appreciated.

By the way great post.

Regards,
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotrod_81 wrote:
I have been reading the posts by sanctifier and luvnish about swapping the tiptronic tranny for evolution 4,5 and 6 gearbox. But I didn't get a clear idea if you all did or didn't try it?

...I have never gotten the opportunity to put them side by side and see the difference.

Hi 81, and welcome to the Mitsubishi MadMen Forum.

swapping the tiptronic tranny for evolution 4,5 and 6 gearbox... Like most swaps it depends on your budget.
luvnish in Grenada, passed on the tiptronic GSR to his brother when he bought an Evo 5.

opportunity to put them side by side... My wife's Galant VR-G has a 4G93 GDI + tiptronic...
but I never had the chance to inspect it alongside my extra Evo 5-speed box either.

Not knowing for sure, I wouldn't be able to offer any accurate advice I'm afraid. Maybe the 5-speed & tiptronic castings are too different... so I'll have to assume that 5-speed box from CM5A GSR will also need the correct manual bell-housing to work... See quote below from Page 2 - Sun Jun 01, 2008.

What Marc Pogson did (Page 1) was to use an Evo bell-housing & box for his conversion.

My $0.02¢
Anonymous wrote:
Niiice!!! Thanks for that info! Yeah first problem i got into was that gsr bellhousing was
different to evo one:)) Now got myself an evo box, hopefully this mix will work well together Very Happy

Last edited by Sanctifier on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
hotrod_81
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Now it looks like I'm back to square one, looking for a CM5A gearbox. I should have gone evo power instead of rebuilding my 4g93t. Neutral

Sanctifier, why didn't you buy a whole evo 6 TME and just transfer all the parts to the CM5A, I mean it would have been easier in the long run.

Right now I'm thinking about doing that same transplant with either an evo 5 or 6 and just swap over the parts and sell my gsr parts after.

Really gets frustrating looking for parts for my car Confused
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why didn't you buy a whole evo 6 TME and just transfer all the parts to the CM5A... I got my CM5A 1800 GSR first...soon got hungry for more power... and started buying parts over the next two-to-three years... Still missing a rear E6 RS LSD and axles...
While collecting parts I found that rear E6 RS LSD and axles... so I bought the whole car Exclamation Twisted Evil

Link--> ~ Readers' Rides ~

it would have been easier... Yup...but not cheaper... Not if you have to build two E6 TMEs! Wink
Sanctifier wrote:
In those days I paid $70k over three years, for ALL Evo parts except the shell and RS LSD (incl. Evo 7 engine...TWO Evo gearboxes & T/cases...E6 TME quick steering-rack with ft. & rr. RS suspension...E6 GSR ft. & rr. upholstry...plus extra CM5A LSD, axles & rear suspension...etc.)

BTW an E6 RS cost $130K then...even now a good E6 TME can cost $90-$100k+...if available.

gets frustrating looking for parts...
Yup... but my goals are to build and equip a decent ToyRoom (workshop) for...
Sanctifier wrote:
1) "DIY" straightening & painting / Engine "blueprinting" & assembly / Chassis Corner-weighing and Coilover suspension setup...and to learn some more stuff.

2) "DIY-build" my Evo 6 TME RS2 "Weekend Warrior" into a competitive Solodex (AutoX) car.

3) "DIY-build" my CM5A GSR "daily driver" into an Evo 6 TME 'Clone' using Mitsubishi E6 TME parts.
...with NO AYC...and an Evo 9 ACD with reflashed ACD ECU for better handling.

4) "DIY-build" my rwd Lancer 1800 GSR...with about 200 bhp...Brembo brakes...good milage
and Independant Rear Suspension (like Starion & RalliArt Lancer prototypes.)
Link--> THE ASYLUM!... Workshops & Tools for DIY MadMen.

My $0.02¢
Gaurav
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hotrod

I think were both heading in the same directions, selling of our GSR stuff and going evo, where are you located and where are you goin to source your engine from.

I actually found a GSR gearbox but didn't swap it out yet.

My plans are either 4G93 with a TD05 upgrade or

Evo 5 or 6 swap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: