The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TURBO 101_CBRD BBK Turbo - New kid on the block.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: TURBO 101_CBRD BBK Turbo - New kid on the block. Reply with quote

TURBO 101_CBRD BBK Turbo - New kid on the block.
Here's another new turbo for the venerable 4G63... Like great wine, it just gets better with time!

This is what's on the CBRD Menu... Cool
Quote:
BBK Lite: Compressor housing remachined with billet compressor wheel installed = $1250 US.
The LITE is AMAZING when you shift... its like you turned the power off for a millisecond then flipped it back on!

BBK Full: Turbine and Compressor wheel upgrades + remachined housings = $1650 US
It spools maybe 200 rpm later than the LITE!!

Here is more data from CDRB...
CDRB wrote:
This turbo was developed with our technical partners at Blouch Turbo... but is available exclusively through CBRD.

...less boost taper than a stock IX turbo and more flow...

BBK LITE: ...is a compressor upgrade only. Utilizing a lightweight aerodynamic Billet 47lbs min compressor wheel,
this turbo spools incredibly quick making it a fantastic auto-x and street turbo.
It has produced 400+whp on our dyno with the right supporting mods.
The boost response between gears is actually quicker than stock. I would generally expect an EVO IX with basic bolt-ons (intake, fmic, cams, turboback) on 93 octane to produce around 365-375whp on our mustang dyno at 25psi with this turbo. (stock evo IX baselines at 225-230).

BBK Full: is a compressor and turbine upgrade that allows for a little more room in the hp/tq department
and has shown to be a 15-25whp and 15-25 wtq gain over the LITE version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
evo4life400 wrote:
...is the Full compared to a FP Red? and the Light compared to a FP Green?...

badhabit90 wrote:
no and no..
search the threads about the development on this turbo as there is alot of testing done...

to sum it up...this turbo will spool quicker and have a better power curve than the red or the green. the (FP) Red will flow 61lbs/min versus the CBRD BBK which states above that it flows 47lb/min. Shift recovery is better throughout with the BBK turbo versus the others. meaning LITTLE LAG BETWEEN SHIFTING so you make your power sooner...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R/TErnie" wrote:
...Evo IX, Cosworth 280's, TBE, 3"o2, Intake, BBK Full... on 114 Leaded fuel (race gas) on a dynojet. What is the maximum power/torque that can be achieved @ approximately what boost level? have you tested this turbo on race gas "maxed" out?

~475whp?

CBRD wrote:
I dont spend anytime on a Dynojet.... we only utilize our low reading mustang dyno...

I would think you could get there.... turbo starts to fall off over 32psi or so.. it was designed for the 22-29 psi range.

cb

CBRD wrote:
the (FP)RED is a big turbo about 61 lbs/min, i suggest it for people running 29+ psi....

cb

CBRD wrote:
FP EvoGREEN.. = 49 lb/min ........ FP EvoRED...... = 61 lb/min.
Looks like CBRD BBK Lite spools quicker than EvoGREEN... but doesn't develop as much WTQ or WHP...

CBRD BBK Lite = 47 lb/min ........ CBRD BBK Full = lb/min.

Unfortunately CBRD is incorrect about EvoGREEN and EvoRED flow rates...
Sanctifier in Aug 2008 wrote:
...For the time being FP EvoRED is a plain bearing turbo. Peak torque is still
VERY high at 5500 rpm so it may be VERY "laggy" but with more R&D it has potential.

________ COMP. HOUSING __ COMP. WHEEL _______ TURBINE HOUSING __ TURBINE WHEEL __

EvoRED ___ Evo 9 '16G' ___ (specs. n.a.) / 56 lb./min _____ 10.5 sq. cm _____ larger (size n.a.)

EvoGREEN _ Evo 9 '16G' __ 5-blade / 69mm / 47 lb./min ___ 10.5 sq. cm _____ 11-blade (size n.a.)

Things are getting interesting... Cool
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This test data is pulled from MLR and evom.net threads...
sybez on MLR wrote:
Whats the differences between a Lite and Full? Is this aimed as a direct competitor to the Green or Red?

Addo on MLR wrote:
From what i understand lite is equal to fp white and the full is comparable to the green but fingers crossed stronger!

kreionic wrote:
**UPDATED 12-02-08**
OK i saw in the other threads people were asking for a new thread with results from it. So this thread is for people to post dyno sheet, if you drag race them post up the times. As the more of them get out there please post up your results and i will update the first post so its all on the first post on the first page.

1- Kreionic- IX
mods-CBRD BBK full Buschur stage 3 head, Buschur race FMIC, buschur licp, JM fabrication uicp, gsc S2 cams, JM fabrications SMIM, tbe, intake, FIC850s ,stock TB, stock bottom end, stock ecu, 100% pump gas 27psi, no alky/meth or race gas
Dyno-CBRD mustang dyno

2-CBRD_Caleb-IX
mods-Full CBRD BBK turbo, Buschur Race FMIC, Buschur licp, Perrin intake, PTE 780 injectors, JM Fabrication exhaust manifold, TBE, stock uicp, TB, intake mani, stock head, stock ecu, stock CAMS, 100% pump gas 29psi, no alky/meth or race gas
Dyno-CBRD mustang dyno

3-Phenem -VIII
mods-CBRD BBK Lite (soon to be BBK Full), 2.3L stroker, GSC S1 cams, GSC valve springs w/ retainers, PPI ported exhaust manifold, BR Race FMIC, ETS piping, MAFT Translator, Dynatek CDI, stock ECU, stock head, stock intake manifold, stock TB, 100% pump gas 28psi no alky/meth or race gas (blowing out a spark badly can see it in the graph)
Dyno-CBRD mustang dyno
Phenem wrote:
It spools no different than the stocker did on my car, exactly as it did before, and it holds boost till redline perfectly just like it should. I was running 25lbs of boost on the street on 93 octane gas and hitting load values around 330, I didn't touch the tune on the car and my load values jumped to 348, I then turned up the wick a little to 27psi cause this turbo would hold it all the way till redline and my load values jumped to 365! This I could not believe, the car is making more power on the same tune and pulling hard until redline!

Tonight I was out tuning the car and got all the quirks worked out and got it spool up quicker with some tricks on my tune. The car is a monster, it spins all four tires entirely through 2nd gear! Before I could get it to break loose in 2nd but only for a second, now it was spinning all the way till around 6k!

4-Graphite_MR -IX
mods-Full CBRD BBK turbo, Bushur head, ETS 3" fmic, Weapon R intercooler piping, HKS Intake, swain coated manifold and o2 housing, Ported tbody and manifold, TBE, 780 injectors, stock ecu, 100% pump gas 23.5psi no alky/meth or race gas
Dyno-CBRD mustang dyno

5-liam11-VIII
mods-BBK full, Megan O2 housing, JM fab exhaust manifold, Megan Downpipe, Megan resonated test pipe, Cobb catback, 780 PTE's, Perrin Intake, Vibrant filter, BR FMIC, BR head, BR IC pipes, 100% pump gas 27psi no alky/meth or race gas
Dyno-CBRD mustang dyno

This graph is overlayed with his previous turbo (modified garrett 30R ish turbo)
Solid lines are the BBK, Dotted are 30rish turbo

6-Cali2MDevo8-VIII
mods-CBRD bbk with ported hotside, br ported manifold, GSC S1 o2 housing, turboback, ets fmic, ets piping and intake, 23.3psi no alky/meth or race gas
Dyno-CBRD mustang dyno

This graph is overlayed with stock turbo same mods, and boost

7-bwesley82-IX
mods-CBRD bbk, JAM stage 1 head, Cossie M2's, turboback, catless, avcr, CBRD fmic, 780 injectors, LICP, and perrin intake, 24.2psi no alky/meth or race gas
Dyno-CBRD mustang dyno

8-evodood-IX
mods-CBRD full bbk, 2.75" Tanabe Downpipe, 3" Agency Power catback, RRE rally cat (resonated test pipe), Titek V2, tubular 02 housing, Ported stock exhaust manifold, GST open cone air filter, Perrin FMIC, AMS LICP, Cosworth M2 mivec cams, FIC "BlueMax" 1250cc injectors, Denso IKH24 spark plugs (1 heat range colder), Walboro fuel pump (single), GM 3 port boost solenoid using ECU-controlled boost. 91 octane dotted line 25.1 psi, E85 solid lines 30.2psi
Dyno- GST mustang dyno

BBK turbo 91 dotted line (25.1 psi), E85 solid lines(30.2psi)

new graph

9-blueprint-VIII
mods-BBK full, Greddy Evo Exhaust, Megan downpipe testpipe, MFQ Ported exhaust manifold, Full injen intake (LICP/UICP),Hallman MBC, Denso 720cc Injectors, ARP Headstuds, Tomei Procam 270 Cams, Walbro 255 Fuel pump
Dyno-MQF dyno dynamics

Info on the turbo can be found here... Link--> CBRD BBK Turbo.

Like i said i will keep updating this post as the more of them get out there. This is just a start

More data coming up...
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. a ton of information... and some of it is conflicting too.

BTW here's a thread from Bulletproof on yet another new turbo for the 4G63...
Link--> Tomei ARMS-M7960.

IMHO different applications require different engine & turbo combinations...
Sanctifier wrote:
For 2.0 + 4.535 gearing = CBRD BBK Full over EvoGREEN... quicker spool for OEM gearing.

For 2.0 + 4.875 gearing = EvoGREEN over BBK Full... more mid range torque... and WHP.
Strange Exclamation Both seem to have identical 47 lb/min flow rate... Full spools faster
... but EvoGREEN still makes more WTQ and WHP than BBK Full...
Link--> The "Best" Turbo Upgrade for Evo 4G63 daily driver.

Not too impressed with EvoRED on a 2-litre... Still too much lag IMHO... Perfect on a 2.3 stroker though.

BTW CBRD's reluctance so far, to compare EvoRED vs. BBK FULL makes me suspicious Exclamation

For a 2.3 stroker especially w/4.875 gearing...
maybe (1) Tomei ARMS-M7960... (2) FP EvoRED... (3) CBDR Full... Still checking!

My $0.02�

I'll add flow data from the Tomei ARMS-M7960 for comparison soon.
Maybe someone should built a Tomei with the FP EvoRED turbine wheel. Cool
Sanctifier
Zorce Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Okay here's some helpful data to clear up the mess...
This is a dyno-sheet comparison of an Evo 8 + BBK Full versus an Evo 6 + EvoGREEN... Cool
Torquecurve.com wrote:

Link--> Evo 8 2.0 + BBK Full versus Evo 6 2.3 stroker + EvoGREEN.
Yup, pay attention to the disclaimer... but IMHO it still serves as a great "Rule of Thumb."

Yup, I expected the GREEN to spool 250 rpm LOWER than the BBK FULL... and make over 40 lb-ft. WTQ MORE...
(Read "The Joy of Stroker!"... Even better than that OTHER book! Laughing )

...BUT to make nearly 50 WHP LESS as well Question ... (I thought GREEN would make more WHP than BBK... especially with a stroker!)

Still with a better mid-range torque curve, it still looks like... Gimme a GREEN to go!

My $0.02�
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Mitsubishi Madmen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: