The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vauxhall Reveal New Logo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Vauxhall Reveal New Logo Reply with quote

This summer we will see the unveiling of the All New Vauxhall Insignia at the British Motor Show in London, but little did we know until this recent announcement that it will also be sporting the brand new Griffin Logo with a new look for 2008.

Bill Parfitt, Vauxhall�s Managing Director, said �While the new-look Griffin pays homage to our 100 year-plus manufacturing heritage in the UK, it also encapsulates Vauxhall�s fresh design philosophy, first showcased in the current Astra, and set to continue with Insignia".

Worldcarfans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Vauxhall griffin has gone through several changes in its long history, some drastic, many minor. The first Griffin was a 3D hood ornament, from the days when Vauxhall competed with Rolls Royce and Bentley. The Vauxhall Prince Henry is even credited as being the first British sportscar. Surviving examples are considered priceless.

The first major change was the square 'badge' logo that came with the GM-Opel-Vauxhall connection. The square logo was done expressly for badge engineering. The move to the familiar round logo was also done so either a Vauxhall or an Opel badge could fit on the grille of either a Vauxhall or an Opel, depending on the market.

The Vauxhall logo dates back to a centuries old castle called Fulk's Hall, overseen by Lord Fulk of Luton. The original Vauxhall Ironworks was located where Fulk's Hall once stood. Over the centuries, and up to the time the ironworks came into being, the name Fulk's Hall eventually became Vauxhall!

Vauxhall was also instrumental in Britain's war efforts, with the company building military vehicles, as well as staff cars. When General Motors took over the company, it knew if Vauxhall was to survive, it would have to shed its premium image, and make cars for the 'people'. Hence Vauxhall became the workingman's car. Another radical departure under GM was the decision to adopt 'trans-atlantic styling' Hence rather than staying with european lines, postwar Vauxhalls began taking on decidedly american styling, with the PA Cresta even sprouting tailfins, and the later 101 adopting a Camaro-esque 'coke bottle' profile.

The last 100% Vauxhall design was th e1976 Chevette, which was available as a hatch, sedan, and 2-door sedan, all in RWD form. Even though it shared parts with the Opel Ascona, it was still a Vauxhall design. The Astra, which was the Chevette's successor, was the first in a long history of Vauxhall / Opel badge engineered cars. The Astra also saw limited life as a Pontiac in the US.

Today, it is rare to see a totally new Vauxhall, but we did come tantalisingly close with the VX220, which was based on the Lotus Elise platform. While the underpinnings were borrowed, the styling was definitely Vauxhall, based on the VX Lightning concept. The design continues to live in the Saturn Sky. Another noteworthy Vauxhall styling design was the 1990s Calibra, penned by Vauxhall longtime designer Wayne Cherry. The Calibra was the first productino car to achieve a cD of .26, and was also one of the first coupes to be offered with fulltime 4WD. Engines included a base 1.8, V6 and a stonking turbo.

While having a reputation for bland offerings, Vauxhall has had its share of fire, including the domineering Firenza based Saloons of the 1970s, the Rally Chevettes of the early 1980s, and the all conquering Lotus Carlton. Today, the VXR range includes the hot 250bhp Astra.

Ok, enough for today, and if Plex replies with 'good info' I will personally run him over with my Vauxhall.....when I get it fixed Embarassed Vauxhall

I know it's so, for I told me so
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I prefer the current logo)

I know it's so, for I told me so
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Zorcerazzi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: