The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clean and Simple, Sportec Audi A4 1.8T

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeo
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Clean and Simple, Sportec Audi A4 1.8T Reply with quote

With the recent boom of the automotive aftermarket industry, customizing cars has become a personal form of self expression. Extreme paint jobs, aggressive body kits, choice of rims, and what's under the hood all give clues to the personality of the owner, or at least what the owner wants us to think is his or her personality.

With this in mind, it becomes quite apparent why Lance Nakamoto of Costa Mesa, CA chose to modify his car the way he did. Softspoken, with a subtle personality and a quiet confidence, Nakamoto speaks humbly of his car despite the time, money, and effort he has put into it. But carefully look at his 2003 Audi A4 1.8T, and you'll see that there is more than a quick glance might notice. The car is painted in black, disguising many of its features, and an understated wheel and body package might not catch the attention of anyone not looking for anything different. That's just the way Nakamoto wants it: "I like simple and clean in all my rides," he says.
When he first purchased the car, Nakamoto already knew what he wanted to do with the car. "I had a look I was going for ahead of time." He found that look when he came upon the 3T Motorsport booth at a SEMA show in the L.A. convention center. 3T is one of the main importers of the Swiss tuner Sportec who offers parts for many European make including Porsche, VW, and Audi. After going through a Sportec product

brochure, Nakamoto ordered the Sportec front fascia, side skirts, and 19" Sportec wheels. He then turned to Reiger for the rear fascia, and he added a SPP (Supreme Power Parts) rear trunk spoiler and fog lights. Other small details such as the S4 headlights, EPI Importers blackout grille and European rear view mirrors completed the look he was going for.

The interior of the car was basically left alone. A European shift knob is the only addition. "I think it's fine the way it is. Again, I like simple and it is not a show car," Nakamoto stated. "However, I do like the S4 Recaros that some owners have swapped."

Under the hood is a little less understated, but every modification has a purpose. Like many Audi owners, Nakamoto chose APR to tune the 1.8-liter turbocharged engine. The Stage 1+ kit on the car includes an upgraded ECU along with larger fuel injectors. These modifications alone bring the horsepower to 229 bhp and torque to 271 lb-ft. Next, an ECode front-mounted intercooler was added, along with a Neuspeed exhaust and a Neuspeed short shifter.

Special attention was also given to the suspension and brakes. Up front are massive 13.1" Stoptech slotted rotors, although the rear brakes remain stock.

Also from Stoptech are the stainless steel brake hoses. H&R coilovers installed by VW Specialties of Huntington Beach give the car a more sporty appearance in addition to improving the handling.

So what's next for Nakamoto's A4? His wishlist includes sway bars, a Neuspeed Xtreme turbo inlet hose, and an AWE boost gauge. A bigger turbo upgrade is also a future possibility. But for now, Nakamoto enjoys driving a car that fits his personality: clean and simple.

Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice..now that is how a euro suppose to look..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Zorcerazzi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: