The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bio-fuel Powered E85 Viper Breaks World Speed Record?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Bio-fuel Powered E85 Viper Breaks World Speed Record? Reply with quote

With regards to green cars you normally don't think of 1200hp twin turbo hyper sports cars setting speed records. Well, that's exactly what happened for Karl Jacob and his E85 fuel (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) Dodge Viper tuned by SVS. On his third record attempt at the Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in Oscoda, Michigan, serial entrepreneur, Jacob, set the world record for standing mile at 220.7 mph.

According to their press release, �The previous standing mile record was 217.85 MPH held by a gasoline powered street car.� However, if my memory serves me, this is incorrect. In May of this year the Lingenfelter 427 twin-turbo ZO6 set the record at 226.25 mph at the same Michigan air strip on street tires. Whether the discrepancy is based on the Lingenfelter ZO6 qualifying as street-legal or not remains to be determined. Anyone?

Nonetheless, this is an E85 powered car! Disputing the record is missing the point. It's a remarkable accomplishment which clearly demonstrates you can �go green and go fast�. Considering how much press coverage this story has received, I think Jacob has reached his goal which is to �bring attention to the importance of renewable fuels�.

Worldcarfans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Zorcerazzi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: