The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is GAIA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAIA
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: What is GAIA Reply with quote

Just to tell you a bit more about GAIA - It's actually an acronym for Green Alternatives in Action and is an NGO aimed at promoting a greener, more sensible lifestyle in the Caribbean region. It seems the entire world has woken up to the environmental crisis, but the Caribbean is lagging. The first event for GAIA is coming up in Trinidad in October.
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested, please do keep us inform when and where...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GAIA
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The event hopes to showcase all aspects of a greener lifestyle, from Green Weddings to Biofuel. We believe the Caribbean, especially Trinidad is a wealth of such information and it should be shared.
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I guessing a 30 year old sportscar that returns 10 - 12mpg would be frowned upon.....

I know it's so, for I told me so
GAIA
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe not, if its 30 years old and still works - it doesn't have to be disposed of Wink
VK-Sportsman
Zorce Jedi Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only we need to know about Green alternatives, but we need them to be in effect.......onlt then it would be seen doing its purpose.

What we reallt need is to show the public how Green alternatives are currently in action and what they can do to contribute.
GAIA
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and that in essence is the first event - totally agree with you!
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to burst the green bubble, but in this country, it aint gonna happen. I worked in the CNG industry for some time, and believe me, the government don't care one rat's heinie about the environment. There are countries like Iran that will have 80% of their vehicles running on CNG in 5 years. We have it coming out of holes in the ground, and have failed to make it viable. NP is a huge hindrance to cheap CNG for all cars. Imagine they levy a huge tax on CNG just to protect gasolene. We rather sell it off and wait to buy it back when our reserves run out. I would be first to retrofit my old cars with CNG kits if I thought the state would ensure convenient, reliable supply, but bleh

Don't get me started on trinis who throw rubbish into glass-only dumpsters and then pelt their stag bottle in the bush Evil or Very Mad

I know it's so, for I told me so
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite true under this adminstration...But the important thing is to get the public aware of going green..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GAIA
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the government is quite dotish and useless, but I am so tired of hearing that statement that because it's Trinidad nothing will happen, I would like to think we're capable of change. It's a tricky situation, if you rally for change, you might get shot, if you don't you're stuck in the muck - however, I'd like to believe that at least some Trinidadians are open to a change and aware about the environmental crisis, I mean - seriously its all over cable TV.
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of trinis do not like to change, is either they are scared or simple they do not understand that change sometimes means for the better..But we need to face reality and make that change..
GAIA
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well either way, GAIA as a group wants to be a part of that change, we want to involve as many groups as possible in this event, so far the NGO sector has been very helpful, but I welcome any suggestions. The website will be up soon. In the mean time if anyone can hook me up with Eco tourism operators, holistic healing people, biofuel pioneers, alternative energy pioneers, artists, writers etc etc, that would be really helpful.
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted with the website...
VK-Sportsman
Zorce Jedi Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates GAIA?..... we people need to stand up now to make T&T a Green country Exclamation .Although it will likely never happen, if every person uses Green Alternatives, then we will see some change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Zorcerazzi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: