The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NASCAR: Martin bows out with points lead intact.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rory Phoulorie
Zorce Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: NASCAR: Martin bows out with points lead intact. Reply with quote

Mark Martin remained true to his word by bring to a close the fifth-longest consecutive start streak in NASCAR Cup history when he took the chequered flag at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Sunday night.

Determined to stick by his partial schedule this season, the veteran confirmed that he would be absent from the next round of the year, at Bristol this weekend, ending a run of 621 consecutive races that began at the Daytona 500 on 14 February 1988 - even though tenth place in the Kobalt Tools 500 kept him at the head of the 2007 standings.

�It's really cool and I guess it's kind of a storybook way to go out after chasing those points so hard for the last 20 years,� Martin said, �It's definitely the way to do it."

This is the third time in Martin's career that he has started the season with four straight top ten finishes, but comes in spite of his switch to the previously unheralded Ginn Racing team.

"I just can't say enough about this US Army race team," he reiterated, "They are an awesome group of guys, and it's great to finally see them get the recognition they deserve. I sure wish I had been driving their car a little sooner. I am so proud of this team. They've had a lot of setbacks, with Ernie [Irvan] and Jerry [Nadeau], and a lot of disappointments, so I'm just so proud of this team and to be a part of it.

�We weren't as good today as we had been the first couple of races, but the guys on the Army team never gave up. We were able to gain positions on pit road during those last two stops and bring home a top ten finish. They also allowed me to leave here as the points leader and I have to thank them for all they have done for me this year.�

As planned before the season started, Martin will miss the next two Nextel Cup races, at Bristol and Martinsville, with rookie Regan Smith standing in before Martin returns at Texas Motor Speedway on 15 April. Following Sunday's race, the veteran quickly put to rest any rumours about his plans for this weekend.

�I'm looking forward to next weekend,� he said, �I just want to thank all the fans for their support, especially with this US Army car and what we have going on. I know a lot of people still don't believe that I won't be racing next weekend, but they will have a really hard time finding me."

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~2~id~144849~pid~0.htm
Rory Phoulorie
Zorce Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Martin is the Stirling Moss of NASCAR...one of the greatest drivers to have never won a championship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Motorsport All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: