The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

parent or friend ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elsa!!
Sith-ing down in the corner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: parent or friend ? Reply with quote

some parents today spoil and over-indulge teens to the point where it might backfire tragically...

giving a 17 year old too many "adult" privileges seem 2 be d norm in this country these days!
allowing teens d right to drive tuh fetes and have no curfew is dangerous; not just to d teens but tuh "john public" who just trying tuh have ah good time ...

17 year olds r drinking and driving and parents in this country seem to be turning a blind eye; it's as if dey want to a "friend" and not a "parent" ! Confused i have observed many teens driving carelessly late nights on d highways, giving bad drives tuh other drivers who have no desire 2 race etc....

and when these teens are badly injured or die [hopefully not in d future], d first things parents say is dat dey "chile" so well behaved and bright and have a good future ahead etc.

i don't feel sorry for parents like this, because it's their fault when they create these circumstances by being too over indulgent !
in my job, i come across parents who like tuh compete with each other tuh show who have more $$$ tuh give more luxuries etc. to their offspring; but expensive cell phones and video games are not as harmful as giving a 17 yr. old his own car tuh come and go as he please !

... i doh know how other people feel about this issue though; it would be interesting to find out ...
obeiron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a car or access to one at 17 is one thing but going out and drinking with the car at that age is irresponsible...the parents should not allow that. At 17, I had access to my parents car but there were limits.

As far as drinking and driving goes, some (most?) adults in TnT do not set a very good example and the police seem powerless to stop it.
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A neighbour by me the parents bought a car for him when he turned 17...Within 1 week he was coming back from north from a party and skid of the road...Unsure if he was drunk or lost control...To me it was nice the parents bought him a car but to soon to be left alone with it at that age..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VK-Sportsman
Zorce Jedi Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a teen myself, it's responsibility that plays an important role.
If a 17yr old gets a car from his parents to use, he knows fully well why he got the car.............to go to school.

Parents may allow their children to go to a party if they are responsible.I agree with parents to take away the vehicle if the child is not-responsible.Then again, does the teen "own" the car?
So no teen should argue with their parent saying they cannot take away the vehicle.

This topic is very huge....and we have to hear everyones' comments on this.

For me, whenever i get a car....it will be for school use and solodex Very Happy
Jahling
Jedi Hopeful

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I got my first car just before I turned 17. I wanted a project car to learn automotive mechanics hands on. I had a limited budget of $15,000 so that PAK series Lancer GSR was out of price range - it was selling used for $25K at the time. It came down to a choice of a 1967 Morris Minor, a 1965 VW Type 3 notchback and an RX-2 with a 13B swap, all in the same price range.

My parents were against the RX-2 as they did not want to have to deal with feeding me through a straw as I lay in a full body cast. I wanted it cause I liked the car and it was the only one with power windows and A/C (I wanted the luxury, so I said)

I ended up getting the Morris, primarily because my parents knew that it would not go fast even if fell off a cliff. It could not stop either but I guess that improved my driving, forcing me to look further ahead and anticipate. It would break down all the time requiring me to be towed home a lot and sometimes preventing me from going out. But it also taught me a lot fixing it.

Looking back at it, any of the choices would have been nice and they may have directed my automotive interests differently but based on my level of responsibility at the time, the Morris was the best choice. Flat out it would do 85mph with everything rattling. That limited speed probably saved my life.
elsa!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzukisportsman and jahling, i understand what you're both saying and you are quite correct, because the responsible teens are the ones who will suffer because the others go and mess things up ; is d ole "peter pay for paul and paul pay for all..." unfortunately Sad

suzuki, i empathise with you; you seem to be a very responsible and mature teen, so i commend u for that Very Happy

but it's d "bad seeds" who are d dangerous/reckless ones !

hey, suzuki, i am sure that u know fellow teens who might fit the "bad seed" category Neutral
i just worry a lot for innocent people/families are the unexpected tragic vitims of careless incompetent teen drivers... every year it happens [at least once] at xmas, old yrs. night, carnival season... i am almost afraid to watch the news or read the papers until friday.... i pray that it isn't going to happen this year!

but, is the parents' faults [d ones who spoil their teens too much] who i blame d most, when these tragedies are repeated... in my job, i KNOW and SEE and MEET PARENTS who really COMPETE with EACH OTHER to show who have more $$$$ to buy expensive cars 4 d kids; u all might find it hard to believe, but i honestly see it via my line of work ! when they come together at pta meetings and class meetings they try so hard to out do each other: through their kids Shocked Shocked

i encounter parents who "big up and bling up demselves for second and subsequent meetings with other parents ! Rolling Eyes when they meet for d form 1 session, dey get d chance 2 see who dey goh have tuh compete with, fuh d next meeting !

but ... dat is my real fear : parents competing with other parents, buying more expensive cars , cell phones, watches, sneakers and even designer schoolbags and mont blanc [etc other brands...] pens Rolling Eyes it IS THEIR $$$ 2 spend as dey like ; i respect that totally Smile

but again, my personal fear comes when d CONSEQUENCES of this spoiling and competing end in tragedy for innocent citizens just going bout dey business, enjoying life etc...

parents can spend dey own $$$$$$ ; ah eh envious of dat [ of course ah wish ah was rich... but ah doh begrudge people who very wealthy Laughing ] but i doh want tuh lose a loved one, friend, neighbour etc because ah inexperienced and tipsy young teen cyah handle d powerful car dey parents give dem...
... i get so depressed tuh see people losing dey lives to an accident dat ah parent could have prevented!

I even do NOT blame d spoilt teen; all younsters wish fuh dey own cars [... i did d same at dat age, except my father bought a super cheap old PN mini cooper fuh me tuh "practise on" Laughing ]

is d parent who is tuh blame; of course, dis is just my view and i do respect any body's view... i cyah get vex fuh dat... every one is entitled to his/her personal opinion Laughing Laughing

... kumar also crossin' he toes and not wagging he tail because he also gets depressed when people die like dis... Crying or Very sad kumar hope d headlines in tomorrow's newspapers have jolly and light-hearted news ! let d carnival end on ah happy note !
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line, its the parents who will get the blame..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VK-Sportsman
Zorce Jedi Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsa!! ..I have seen some of the "bad seed" ones as you say.

Real example: A classmate of mine stayed home a particular day. During the lunch break, I saw his father's Altezza in the parking lot. I wondered why would his father come an his son is not in school.
Low and behold, it was the student himself in the car.He was driving his dad's car.
He is getting his licence not this year, but next year.And he is driving on public roads. I sure his parents had no clue he had the car.
I asked the student why he did that.He told me that he just wanted to "try a lil thing" Shocked
~~~~~~~

So it's not only about Parents showing off or whatever.The child is the problem.
Parents have to sit down and talk with their child(ren) about responsibility and show them why it is important to be a safe driver.

If a teen dies in an accident from drunk driving, speeding, street racing..... it is him/her that chose to cut their life short. Don't they want to enjoy life as it was originally intended to be enjoyed?

My points are
*Parents need to be responsible and talk to their children.
*Teens need to distinguish right from wrong and make the correct decisions in life.

Last edited by VK-Sportsman on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
wagonrunner
Zorce Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, LOL, LOL
when meh nieghbour's b/f's (19) father biught him a sti, i said "natural selection"
she asked me what i meant. i siad, his folks don't love him enough, to keep him around indefintely.
two accidents later, she understands exactly what i mean.

Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teens these days not listening anymore... Confused
MANIAC
Jedi Hopeful

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic .....
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you supposed to EARN the right to use a car, not be entitled to it

what we seeing today is what happens when parents decide their kids should have all the stuff they missed out on when they were growing up........plus now ppl compete with the Joneses via they stuff they buy for their kids Rolling Eyes

I know it's so, for I told me so
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving a car comes with great responsibility i have seen teens drive like if it is a video game..But why i come back with the parents have to be blame is if you see your dad and or mum driving like a nut case what kind of example is that they are setting..Parents must set examples..Even if the child is being faced with peer pressure or the parents wants to keep up with the Joneses..
red sleeper
Looking for the Jedi base

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG Man wrote:
you supposed to EARN the right to use a car, not be entitled to it

what we seeing today is what happens when parents decide their kids should have all the stuff they missed out on when they were growing up........plus now ppl compete with the Joneses via they stuff they buy for their kids Rolling Eyes

AGREED !

But like many other ppl, Trini's want the "BEST" for there kids.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I guess it's hard fuh people to say "no" tuh dey "darling babies" !
I doh have children yet [ human ! kumar is meh "chile" but he's a dog] so i can't say how hard it might be to say "no" tuh yuh chile ... cause i am ashamed tuh admit dat i do over spoil and fuss over kumar [friends do say dat i let him get away wid all kinda wildness and harden' behaviour... Embarassed ]; and ah does even get vex when anybody bawl at him ... so maybe i myself need tuh address my own "parenting skills wid dis dog, before having human kids Embarassed Embarassed but in this era, parents have one very tough job yes... it easy tuh spoil ah chile and buy everything he wants when yuh can't spend too much time with him due to job duties etc....
that is something only parents can answer ...

... me eh know if i have d qualities , right NOW, tuh be d kinda parent dat ah chile deserves Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Zorcerazzi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: