The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm in website heaven!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mazda6dude
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: I'm in website heaven! Reply with quote

Finally a local forum where Mazda ownersgurus can come together and share information. Well done ZORCE!

Sorry I'm so late but I'm getting on with the program now. Very Happy

So what is my contribution here?

Well, to tell you the truth, I have a soft spot for Mazdas. They make the most passionate sports cars and its like each one has a soul to it. Mazda builds well engineered road machines and since Mazda took their operations to the new level where they brought out the 3, 5, 6 and updated the benchmarks such as the Miata/MX-5 and RX-8 and bringing out the new CX-7 and CX-9 they have been one of my favourite car companies yet.

The Star Mazda Series makes me want an RX-8 so badly. Its a 1.3 4-DR sports car with luxury car features and still does 0-60 in 5.9s according to C&D. Not bad at all, imagine if they had a turbo version! The 3rd gen MX-5 Miata still beats the new Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky even though they have 2.4 engines as opposed to the 2.0 in the Miata.

The 06' Miata has more features than the previous edition and has a stronger and quieter structure than before yet its weight crept slightly but acceleration, braking and handling improved!! Its the engineering that sets them apart.

Other such as the 3 and 6 but have scores of automotive awards praised by the automotive pundits/gurus/journalists/critics all over the world. Mazdas have superior braking compared to the other makers. Just read the 80-0 or 70-0mph stopping distances in the reputable magazines and clearly there are differences. Not too mention the handling of their sedans. I can speak for both the 3 (1.6) and 6 (2.3) models and they handle so well.....sports car territory. Skidpad grip is exceptional.

Mazda's new designs are the best in their categories. I don't intend to bash other automakers but the press including myself agree that some of Honda's designs are ugly namely the Civic, Accord, Element, Ridgeline, JDM Odyssey, Insight and the 07' CRV due to launch soon. The Pilot's looks look generic and dated or plain and simple. Honda's nice designs are the current and past CRVs, DC5 Integra and EK Civics as well as the S2000 and Preludes and NSXs.

Toyota's Corolla looks generic too especially the model we get from the dealer and from roro. The USDM Corolla looks sharper in front. Camry's are nice but the new RAV4 is uglier than the previous edition. Prados are nice as well as the Avensis but the Sienna is ugly. The rest of their SUVs are nice not bad compared to Honda.

Nissan take the cake in weird designs especially the N17 model which we don't get as well as the new Y12 Wingroad. The Tiida is also hideous. Their nice designs are the Xtrail, Quest, Maxima, Altima and 350Z. Their Pathfinder is a huge square box, the Patrol is like a old-gen Land Cruiser and the Sentra/Almera both for US, JDM and other markets were never "lookers" in the first place.

Mitsubishi has nice designs too like the current Lancer (updated one though) is nice as well as the "shark mouth" Galant. The previous 2 Eclipses were nice but the current Eclipse is hideous just like their new Galant and Endeavor. The Pajero/Montero is nice and the Raider pickup is not a Mitsubishi product. It was made my Dodge (a re-badged Dakota) but the design is nice. The Outlander is nice IMO but the replacement screwed up a bit and the Grandis is the best looking minivan in Trinidad beating out the Mazda 5.

I am biased towards Japanese vehicle as opposed to the other makers. Japanese quality is evident but Nissan and Mitsubishi are going through some hot water so to speak. Nissan lossed sales in the US market which is a major market but still maintains is course as the 2nd biggest Japanese automaker followed closely by Honda but Mitsubishi's world wide sales is collapsing especially in the US market. I know someone who was a salesrep for a Mitsu-dealer in the US and he told me many people gave up their floorspace of selling Mitsu's for other brands cause it was not profitable anymore. Check the sales stats, Subaru sells more than Mitsu alone in the US and Suzuki will pass them this year.

Only Toyota, Honda and Mazda are doing well around the world, raking in profits. Toyota is so huge, they will topple GM as the world's biggest automaker. Economies of scale at work some may say but they have the resources to do proper R&D and marketing to become #1. Mazda does not have such a huge budget to spend on marketing but their cars are for the niche market now.....a marketing ploy maybe? They know that production cannot meet demand so jack up prices! Smart! Mazda's resale has improved alot. Roro Mazda 6's go for $130k+ and the 3's go for $105k+ and that is for the 2.0 and 1.5 models respectively. The Lancer's resale has gone down and the Corolla's remains consistently high as well as the Hondas. Nissans are a bit lower than those but at least not as low as Mitsubishi. The Koreans are still behind but are catching up. However their resale is poor. I can get a 2003 loaded Sonata for $78k as well as a Galant. A 2002 Primera still fetches more than $100k.

Anyway, I strayed alot. I'm sorry. I can't wait to post in the other threads. Thanks once again and whosoever you ZORCE guys are, big up and much respect! Wink
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool...welcome to the site..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thread man
I'll reserve my comments for later Wink

I know it's so, for I told me so
NarendZORCE
Zorce Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazda6dude... welcome to zorce.com

Thanks for the compliments, I hope you enjoy your stay. This is, after all, the place for MAZDA enthusiasts. You may also wish to take a peek in the Secret Project Room, which shows up when you become a registered user and you log in. There you can tell us if you decided to adopt a mazda project/racecar/weekend warrior and what's happening with it.

Feel free to post pictures/info on your rides in here and tell us more about anything MAZDA.
Download & SEE iT! >> http://www.zorce.com/fortheforums/Zorce-15.mp4

Oh Yeah! Feel the Rush, it's like... WOW!
May the (Mass x Acceleration)-F+Z be with you...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazda6dude
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG Man, those pics are beautiful.......the 2nd and 3rd pic i have on my pc Mr. Green

NarendZORCE, thanks dude! soon as i get my hands on a 1985 RX-7 GSL-SE ill make that my project car or even a 616.
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the two mazdas I always wanted were a Cosmo and a Miata.......the Miata is the more realistic dream, but no time soon............the Euro stuff takes priority Wink

mazda6dude
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^yes i agree.....the miata is what it is today cause of MG anywayz. They inspired mazda. I want a used 1st or 2nd gen with the manual tranny but i dont want any ABS brakes as i feel its contrary to what a light RWD sports car should have. everything should be natural. the cosmo never grew with me, it was more sophisticated than anything else in its class at that time. too bad there's no successors.......i think i am biased to light weight cars Mr. Green
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Lotus had a greater influence on Mazda than MG
The 1st Gen design was copied off the Lotus Elan +2, something which Mazda only admitted years after.......
The 1st Gen Miata was also a rip off of the Elan, which Mazda again denied, but now refers to as a 'tribute'
Don't even get me started on the 2nd Gen
whatever Rolling Eyes
What I will give Mazda full credit for is reintroducing the affordable RWD sportscar when they intrroduced the Miata. At the time, no manufacturer was willing to take the risk of getting back into sportscars. Mazda saw the opportunity and made headlines with it. They basically introduced the car that MG shoulod have been maikin, ie a cheap, simple, reasonably quick sportscar that gave good bang for the buck........the sales figures don't lie.

Oh yeah, and Mazda is still the only Japanese car maker to win at Le Mans Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazda6dude
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Shocked Shocked no wonder u r a moderator. good work there dude, i see a similarity in all. Sadly, the american automotive press will believe the mazda background over that of the europeans..all they say is that the Miata reminds them of British sports cars of the past and thats about it. maybe i am biased but i am leaning more to the mazda designs but originality will go to the europeans.

the toyota mr2 spyder which is now dead had styling cues from a porsche boxster and correct me if i am wrong, i think Kia created the made over Elan also with Lotus' permission....whatever came of that? It would have placed Kia in the lime light even b4 toyota dreamt of the mr2. The Honda S2000 scores in pure originality of design as the 350Z but Nissan went heavy weight there, nothing like a Miata. I think Mazda made a big business case to produce the MX-5 cause it has a name and reputation behind it and the mr2 spyder is now dead being replaced with a scion tc convertible which is heavier and uglier. Honda's S2000 is a little more hardcore so it leaves the Miata in a class by itself. GM did good with the release of the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky but they aint cheap and have no reputation and sadly they might end up just like the rest of their lineup.

I wish Kia comes with the Elan...a remake or reintroduction. It'll do good for the brand. We'll leave the RX-series for another time Laughing
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics..i looking for a pic of a mazda 616 ;u have that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6dude, The Kia Elan was only marketed in Korea, so no luck seeing one stateside...and because of the age, no luck seein one Triniside......there's one in Barbados tho (Lotus, not Kia Elan). The Solstice and Sky have their roots in the Vauxhall VX220 / Opel Speedster, which both were derived from the Lotus Elise. I personally feel the 177bhp base Solstice is a missed opportunity. The entry level model should have been released with at least 200bhp to give it street cred, especially as Pontiac is being positioned as GM's 'performance' brand. I prefer the Sky cuz it looks more like its european cousin.....

BUt getting back to Mazda, I vote the 3rd gen as my al time fave Maxda, simply because of its design philosophy of lightweight and balanced suspension.....again borrowed from Lotus Wink

mazda6dude
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Solstice and Sky have their roots in the Vauxhall VX220 / Opel Speedster, which both were derived from the Lotus Elise.

and the elise has a toyota celica 1.8 engine!! i think pontiac and saturn have the bloodline and redline performance versions with 260HP and 260ft-lbs of torque. It'll smoke a S2000. I'm waiting to see the new MazdaSpeed Miata but i doubt it'll have 260HP.

my all time fav mazda is the fd3s also.....the 2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type-A. does 0-60 in 4.5s and top speed of over 170mph. thats better stock performance than a supra, skyline, nsx and even an evo. it was cool back then and a time piece to have now.
mazda6dude
Pumpum Conqueror

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

i looking for a pic of a mazda 616 ;u have that?

hmmm nope.......there are tons of em' online i came across already. if i find the website again ill post the link up for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> Zorcerazzi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: