The Racing Magazine in the Islands
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Dougla | Steering issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Secret Project Room (tsk)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banzai
Zorce Media Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Project Dougla | Steering issues Reply with quote

Went to the Alignemtn guy yesterday ato get teh car straigtened out in terms of its tracking issues. Steering has alot of play and the camber/caster seemdto be off as well. However, upon inspection of the bits underneath, it was recommended that we change out the Pitman Arm and both steering ends before trying to align the car properly

Here is the current setup

This needed to be removed. Trusty Spanner in hand, Anil goes to work

as with all things that haged...sometimes some "hard iron" behind it will make it crack...

final twitisn and teh old pitman arm comes off

the old pitman arm...clearly worn....it still had a"slack" feel to it even after it was removed

Fresh Pitman arm to be installed. i wish that all car parts were as cheap as old car parts. We paid 73TT for a brand new Pittman arm.

mounting it back up was as easy as taking it down. Something to note here. Make a notch on the old Pittman arm and match it up with a notch on the new one so that "dead center" will be true center. A few teeth off and you'll find yourself compensating on the other parts of the steering setup

There.....new Pittman arm installed....

Next up was the Steering ends. We did both sides. Heres the same side..Right hand....before we took it off..

Outer Steering end removed. Notice the worn bits of the tip..and it felt "sticky" when yu tried to move the ball in the socket

Fresh Steering arm. Cost? $38TT. This really blew my mind. Steering end also comes with a locking pin.

some other tools of the job....Grease...this is for the inner and outer bearings that was also due to change. However we bought Bearingns for a Mitsu not knowing that the hub setup was really a transplanted setup from a S15.

Steering end remounted.

We also did some steering box adjustments to get rid of the "loose steering play" whe ndriving. Couldnt take out pics of that beucz the space in which to work was limited.

Next. Front Bumper install....
Yeo
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Banzai!!

Lovin the write-ups.
Plex
Zorce Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good pics
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NarendZORCE
Zorce Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread Rawle!!!
Download & SEE iT! >> http://www.zorce.com/fortheforums/Zorce-15.mp4

Oh Yeah! Feel the Rush, it's like... WOW!
May the (Mass x Acceleration)-F+Z be with you...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

score bonus points for the narrative............simple.clear english
well done Master Rover

I know it's so, for I told me so
Inshan
Rebel Speeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up. One thing that worries me is the technique used to remove the old pitman arm.

Now I expect everybody to say, that is the way we always do it and never have no problem... but that is not the way to remove a pitman arm. A puller should be used. Beating it off with a hammer can cause damage to your steering box.

Using a proper puller like this one will cause no damage to the steering box. Pitman arms are usually on TIGHT!!!
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Good point, Master Inshan.........the question of course is how many local mechs have proper tools, and who sells proper tools? You'd be amazed the runaround I sometimes gat when trying to find the odd tool down here Exclamation

Inshan
Rebel Speeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAd, because that is a very basic tool that I owned even when I was in Trinidad.
MG Man
Zorce Klingon Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^yep
how many times u see a local mechanic push a brake piston back into the caliper bore with his thumbs / screwdriver, when a g-clamp is so cheap......when u can find one to buy Confused Or use a broken feeler gauge / flathead screwdriver to scrape off old gasket crud.....the list goes on......

zodiaque
Dude where's my Car?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I changed all the ends, both inner and outer, As well as the idle arm, a few months back. The Pitman arm is the same though, did not replace that yet. You would find yourself replacing the idle arm bushing fairly often with our roads, may want to go with teflon.

The ends were so well infused with the drag link that I eneded up taking out the drag link asembly to lightly tap out the old ends after applying wrench ease. To prevent this from happening again I used assembly grease when putting in the new ones.

I see you all had gloves, good idea Laughing . I never worked with em, the scars on my hands are evidence, maybe I should practice using em.

Proud member of the TME and Old School Tuners clubs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zorce.com Forum Index -> The Secret Project Room (tsk) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: